9.25.2014

The key to a long life.

It's no surprise that knitting is my passion. seriously, you can ask anyone who has come in contact me and they probably know that I am a knitter. I can't help it. If I'm not knitting, I don't know what to do. Ha! 
I learned to knit when I was really young. My oma and my aunt watched over me and taught me these life changing skills for me. My grandma was a knitter too.. sadly I never had the opportunity to meet her, but I know she's looking down on me and is so very proud. I feel pretty honoured to have her very knitting needles in my possession. 
My oma is 96 now. soon to be 97! and I am incredibly proud to say she's still knitting! I honestly hope I will age like her. This woman has had such a full, and amazing life. 

Though she admits to not be knitting as much these days, and needs patterns that don't require a lot of "seeing" and avoids yarn that is too dark.... I am so amazed that she's still working away at this incredible craft, her hands moving away on their own without any need of direction... 

Of course when my Oma heard my cousin was expecting her second babe, she set to work on a beautiful knitted gift... 



it's lovely! The pattern itself is very simple... no frills... but so very pretty! Oma actually asked me to add the fringe for her, and to deliver it.. Of course I jumped at the chance to be able to work on a project with her! What an amazing experience! 
Oma has never knitted with circulars. she hates them.. and also would never knit with larger needles... so knowing this, and realizing that this must have been knit on a 3mm or so just amazes me!

It has been proven that knitting helps with memory, dexterity, stress, anxiety and many other things! 
So then I can't help but wonder if knitting is her secret to a long life? I'm going to hold onto that... xoxo  

10 comments:

  1. ...such a beautiful post Rebecca! <3 xo

    Lisa (Anthony's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. Such a great thing to share with your Oma xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story : ) It brought a tear to my eye. I, too, have an elderly aunt who keeps on crocheting item after item...it's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I absolutely agree, Christine. I love it! And I certainly hope I age like my Oma. xo

      Delete
  4. Just gorgeous! I love hearing that people pursue their lifelong hobbies with passion for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jodi! It makes me so happy, and of course it makes me look forward to all of the knitting I have ahead of me! xo

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, I'm sure that knitting is the secret key to a long life!! Gorgeous blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Evelyn :) I'll be sure to let my Oma know just how beautiful we all think her work is! xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...